Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

When In Doubt, Friends Will Help You Out

In the last week my emotions have been on a roller-coaster ride. I've went from the excitement of my first week to super homesick to content to excited for the year to get going. Who knew that in the span of 7 days one could feel so many things? Although I've been very excited about Seattle and my new life here, I began to feel homesick and extremely sad. I cried a lot over the last week because I missed my friends and family. I even debated if I really wanted to stay here. My friends, Keala and Victoria, tried to talk me out of it and convince me that I'd be okay here after a couple of weeks but I wasn't listening. It took a phone call from my best friend, Kemar, telling me that being in Seattle was best for me and to try to be happy here. Even though his advice is always short, he gets through to me. After the conversation, I started to embrace my time here in Seattle.
L to R: Kemar, Victoria, ME, Keala
To feel more comfortable here, I decided I'd cook myself dinner. Although cooking is not my favorite thing to do, I was having fun in the kitchen cooking for myself. I cooked dinner two nights in a row and it made me feel much better. Again it's not my favorite thing to do, so two nights was more than enough cooking for me. The week got even better on Thursday when myself and the other grad assistants in housing got together to have a progressive dinner. We went around to each other's apartments and had food. It was just what I needed during a week where I was so sad. We had an amazing time and were able to get to know each other a lot more.


Friday was the best day of the week for me! I went out to get my nails done which always relaxes me!! I also went to a restaurant called Island Soul where I had curry goat for the first time. I didn't expect to like it but the food was amazing and I will be going back very soon. The best part of my day was coming home to see there was a TV in my living room!! I'd been waiting for my tv all week and was excited to spend my entire weekend on the couch watching it. That is precisely what I did most of the weekend!
Island Soul with Jackie
The week started off rocky, but with the help of friends both old and new I was able to get out of my funk. Now I'm back into the work week and working hard to prepare for the RAs to return. Soon  I'll be busy doing the things I love and making connections with students. I believe now really begins my road to becoming a student affairs professional. I hope you'll come along for the crazy ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment